Key Findings


Young People who are not in education, employment or training (NEET)

1.7%
of Years 11, 12 and 13 were in this category
Year 11 1.6% Year 12 1% Year 13 2.6%

  • In 2017, there has been an overall reduction in the percentage and number of young people known to be NEET, in comparison to 2016, for the total Year 11, 12 and 13 cohorts. The proportion of young people in the NEET category has dropped by 0.3 percentage points (2% in 2016 to 1.7% in 2017) and by 259 individuals (1,199 in 2016 to 940 in 2017).
  • There has been a reduction in young people known to be NEET across all year groups in comparison to 2016. There was a reduction of 0.4, 0.2 and 0.5 percentage points for Years 11, 12 and 13, respectively.


‘Year 13 cohort continued to have a higher percentage of NEET (2.6% -(309) individuals) compared to the Year 11 (1.6% - 491 individuals) and Year 12 cohorts (1% - 140 individuals)’
  • Over the six years from 2012 to 2017, there has been a significant reduction in the proportion and number of the total school leavers (those from Years 11, 12 and 13) known to be NEET. The proportion of young people in the NEET category dropped by 2.3 percentage points over the period (4% in 2012 to 1.7% in 2017)
  • The percentage of Year 11 clients unable to enter Employment, Education or Training (EET) due to illness, caring for others or pregnancy rose by 0.1% (from 0.7% in 2016 to 0.8% in 2017). In the same category, the percentage of Year 12 and Year 13 clients remained at 0.4% and 1%, respectively.
  • The percentage of NEET Year 11 females who are unable to enter EET remains greater than for NEET males (50.2% of NEET females and 44.9% of NEET males).
  • The difference is even greater for NEET Year 12 pupils (46.2% of NEET females and 36.4% of NEET males). For NEET Year 13 pupils however, as it was in 2016, the situation between the genders is reversed in 2017 (36.1% of NEET females but 41.5% of NEET males). The percentage of NEET Year 13 males unable to enter Employment, Education or Training (EET) due to illness or other reasons rose 4.1 percentage points from 37.4% in 2016.

Continuing in Full-Time Education

87.4%
of Years 11, 12 and 13 were in this category
Year 11 88.2% Year 12 92.2% Year 13 79.7%
  • Continuing in full time education continues overwhelmingly to be the most popular choice of destination for pupils in each of the three Year groups.
  • This year the proportion of pupils choosing to enter full time education has increased by 0.4 percentage points in comparison to 2016 (from 87% to 87.4%). There have been increases within each cohort:

    Year 11: has increased from 87.9 in 2016 to 88.2% in 2017

    Year 12: has increased from 91.4% in 2016 to 92.2% in 2017

    Year 13: has increased from 79.6% in 2016 to 79.7% in 2017



  • A higher percentage of females than males across all three cohorts chose to continue in full time education.
Cohort Males Females Difference
Year 1186.5%90.1%3.6%
Year 1290.8%93.4%2.6%
Year 1376.8%82.2%5.4%
FE College 53.5% Sixth form 46.5%
  • 2016 saw the first year that a greater proportion of those continuing in full time education (FTE) after Year 11 chose FE over school 6th forms, by 2 percentage points (51% FE to 49% school). This has continued in 2017 with an even greater proportion of those continuing in full-time education choosing FE (53.5% choosing FE compared to 46.5% choosing year 12 in schools, a difference of 7%).

  • In comparison to 2016, of those remaining in FTE, entrants to sixth form decreased by 2.5 percentage points (49% to 46.5%). This is mirrored by a 2.5 percentage point increase in entrants to FE (51% to 53.5%).

68.1%

of females going into HE
1.6% increase on 2016
  • In 2017, of those remaining in FTE, going to FE was a more popular route with males (56.5% going to FE, compared to 43.5% staying in school). In 2016, continuing in school was more popular for females (52.1% remaining in school, compared to 47.9% going to FE) but in 2017 this has changed to 49.6% remaining in school, compared to 50.4% going to FE.
  • The percentage of the total Year 13 cohort going on to Higher Education has increased from 62.4% in 2016 to 63.4% in 2017. However the actual number of individuals is smaller (7,946 in 2016 compared to 7,440 in 2017), accounted for by the smaller cohort in 2017. This excludes individuals entering a Gap year prior to entering Higher Education (58 individuals in 2017).
  • As in previous years, a higher proportion of the total Year 13 cohort of females chose to go on to Higher Education after Year 13. 68.1% of females went on to HE, compared with 58.1% of males.


58.1%

of males
going into
HE
0.5%
increase on 2016
  • The proportion of females in the total Year 13 cohort entering Higher Education increased 1.6 percentage points compared to 2016 (66.5% to 68.1%).
  • The proportion of males in the total Year 13 cohort entering Higher Education increased by 0.5 percentage points compared to 2016 (57.6% to 58.1%).
  • Decrease in percentage taking Gap Year from (0.6% in 2017 compared to 1.3% in 2016).
  • In Years 11, 12 and 13, a higher percentage of those in minority ethnic groups continued in full time education, compared to those who are white.
Cohort White Ethnic Minority
Year 1188%92.4%
Year 1292%93.5%
Year 1379.4%84.5%

Entering the Labour Market - Work and Training Routes

8.6%
of Years 11, 12 and 13 were in this category
Year 11 8.7% Year 12 4.6% Year 13 13.2%
  • The overall percentage of school leavers entering the labour market (either training in the workplace or employment) has risen slightly, from 8.2% in 2016 to 8.6% in 2017. The proportion of Year 11 and Year 13 leavers entering the labour market both rose (by 0.5 and 1.1 percentage points respectively). The proportion of Year 12 leavers entering the labour market fell by 0.2 percentage points (from 4.8% in 2016 to 4.6% in 2017)
  • The percentage of young people entering Government supported training and work (Employed and Non Employed status) was highest for those in Year 11 at 6.4% (a rise of 0.2 percentage points from 2016), whereas 1.8% of the Year 12 cohort and 2.4% of the Year 13 cohort entered one of these options (a fall of 0.2 percentage points for Year 12 and a rise of 0.5 percentage points for Year 13 from 2016, respectively)
  • The proportions of pupils across all three cohorts going straight into employment rose by 0.2 percentage points to 4.2% compared with 2016. There was a slight increase of 0.3 percentage points for Year 11(up to 2.3%). Year 12 remained unchanged at 2.8%. Year 13 saw an increase of 0.6 percentage points (from 10.2% in 2016 to 10.8% in 2017).
  • Entering the labour market (either training in the workplace or employment) was a more popular choice with males than females across all 3 cohorts in 2017.
Year 11
10.4%
6.8%
Year 12
5.5%
3.8%
Year 13
15.1%
11.5%

  • A much smaller percentage of those in minority ethnic groups entered the labour market (employment or work based training) than those who are white. This was especially true in Years 11 and 13, with differences of 5 and 6.9 percentage points, respectively.

Cohort White Ethnic Minority
Year 119%4%
Year 124.9%2.5%
Year 1313.5%6.6%

No Response Rate

  • The overall ‘No Response’ rate fell by 0.3 percentage points compared to 2016, to 1.5%. The fall in the ‘No Response’ rate was greatest for the Year 13 cohort at (0.7) percentage points, but this cohort group continued to have the highest ‘No Response’ rate:
No Response rate
Year 110.5%
Year 121.6%
Year 133.7%